Re: [TowerTalk] How to run HFTA v1.04 under Windows 8.1?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to run HFTA v1.04 under Windows 8.1?
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 15:41:41 -0400
HFTA is just fine on Win 7 Home Premium.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

On 7/18/2014 2:37 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
Hi Bill,

Some of the software we use requires a Microsoft driver that is not standard with Windows, but can be downloaded from their website. I don't recall what it is, but I had to do that to get WSJT and WSJT-X to run in XP Pro.

Another potential issue -- it's my understanding that 8.1 will not load unsigned drivers. For that reason alone, the IT guys in NCCC told me to avoid it. I just upgraded to a Thinkpad running Win 7 64-bit, and another running 8.1 for the XYL. I've gotta say that I truly dislike 8.1, and could not use it for what I do, but the XYL's needs are a lot less demanding and more mainstream, and it's OK for her.

I'm reasonably happy with my Win7 box, but I'm still figuring out some of the ways that the OS is getting in my way, preventing me from accessing stuff that used to be easy. W7EL's EZNEC and Ward's SimSmith run just fine. I haven't tried HFTA on it.

73, Jim K9YC