Re: [TowerTalk] 2" OD Long Masts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2" OD Long Masts
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 16:32:01 -0400
On 8/26/2014 9:23 AM, Byron Tatum wrote:

My experience:

I used 2" X 1/4" wall, with about 1.5" telescoped inside it. Both masts are DOM 1/4" wall.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm
The TH-5 is abt 2' above the top of the tower(100'), 6-meter 7L C3i at 15' (~115') and the 144/440 arrays on a cross boom at 30' (~130') Yes, it's too long, but never bent, even in winds approaching 70 MPH. OTOH the cross boom and top antennas moved far too much to be useful in winds much over 25 MPH. One of the 2-meter antennas ended up pointing about 30 degrees above horizontal. It destroyed a TB-3 and a TB-4 in 5 to 6 years. It also destroyed a couple Ham IVs and and HDR-300 rotator. I finally installed a PST-61 which worked for several, but water collecting on the top caused the shaft to rust, destroying the seals which let water into the housing and that destroyed the bearings. I rebuilt the rotator and added protection for the top seal. http://www.rogerhalstead.com/Gears.htm It's amazing that nothing broke on those antennas.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Hello-
   For years I have used the 2" OD, 6061-T6, 1/4" wall x 24' long aluminum
masts to stack VHF and UHF antennas. I have seen these take a bend a time or two over the
decades.
   I wanted to ask:
     1. If I was to switch to 2" OD steel, as a mast to extend about 15'-18'
out the tower top for stacking VHF/UHF long boom yagis, what would be a suitable
grade of steel, the finish and wall thickness?
     2. I have heard of inserting a smaller aluminum tube inside the 2" aluminum mast, in
the area where the mast exits the tower top and on above a bit. I wanted to ask if someone
here has experience with inserting an aluminum tube inside the 2" OD mast? I would assume
it would be 1-1/2" OD, of similar material and length and what wall thickness?
   I guess reasons I have stayed with the aluminum masts is that they are
lightweight and easy to handle, plus no rusting down in this Gulf Coast area.
      Thanks, Byron WA5THJ

Roger (K8RI)

---
is active.