[TowerTalk] Sky Needle rehab tips wanted

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sky Needle rehab tips wanted
From: William Hein <bill.aa7xt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:30:59 -0600
I recently acquired a 1971 vintage Sky Needle TM-370. Thanks to Hector,
XE2K / AD6D for finding it and supervising its shipping to Colorado. I want
to install it at my home QTH this fall but first it needs some TLC.

The original owner was Lloyd Sigmon, W6LQ (SK). Many LA residents will know
Lloyd as the inventor of the SigAlert. It was originally installed at
Lloyd's QTH in the San Fernando Valley c.1971. When Hector found it, it had
been on the ground in an Inglewood backyard and had been so for years. If
anyone knows where this tower was between Sigmon and Inglewood, please let
me know!  (Mark N5OT told me he helped Lloyd donate his ham gear to the Cal
Tech ARC back decades ago.)

It is generally in good condition but needs at the very least a power
washing and a new motor (for raising and lowering). I also plan on giving
the gears a good kerosene soak and regreasing - they are turning OK.

The original Sky Needles were made to work with Prop Pitch rotators so I am
talking to Kurt K7NV about retrofitting one of his rebuilt PPs into the
rotator cage.

The ladder and Eagles' Nest are missing and I plan on having them
refabricated. Were these originally welded onto the Sky Needle's bottom
section or were they bolted on?

I also may install a new cable even though the current one seems to be in
pretty good shape.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has rebuilt / serviced /
otherwise worked on vintage Sky Needles and learn from your experience.

I am thrilled to have a Sky Needle! When I first started reading QST as a
wide-eyed teenager in the '60s I recall seeing photos of Sky Needles in
upscale backyards (always next to a swimming pool). The owners of these
impressive towers did their DXing while wearing a suit and tie and smoking
a pipe (at least according to the QST photos)!

73
Bill AA7XT ex-AA6TT ex-NT1Y (and ex-WN6NDC '69)