Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ repairs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ repairs
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 10:44:26 -0700

I don't find that to be the least bit surprising. A few years ago (2007) a ham website posted a 30 minute video tour/interview of the MFJ facility ... it is still available on YouTube at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_J4ax3RzX4

beginning at the 28:45 minute mark. Anybody who has the least bit of knowledge of how to run a modern manufacturing line would gag watching it. It was exactly as if you took a hobbyist's workbench and expanded it a hundred times over. There was no recognizable flow to anything and virtually no effective organization of anything. Everything was handled manually and both product and components were simply stacked where convenient. It was clearly impossible to keep track of anything to today's expectations for quality levels.

It's not difficult to picture why MFJ is able to ship product with missing parts, missing wires, and missing solder joints after watching that video, or how they could mistake your RCS-12 for something else. During my career I visited various manufacturing facilities in China and never saw anything worse than what I saw in that video.

MFJ has many satisfied customers ... some of whom value price above all else, some who simply don't need anything better, and some who got lucky. If your expectations are higher than that, though, watch that video before you buy. MFJ was actually proud of what it shows ... that should tell you something.

73,
Dave   AB7E