[TowerTalk] Lightning prevention

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning prevention
From: Earl Wesner <earlw1@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 12:34:30 -0400
I have a home-built interface box outside the shack with each entry protected by an ICE ground block and copper paste AND also an I.C.E./Morgan L/C/GD tube combination on each coax mounted on a copper ground sheet. Had a bolt strike a tree 35 feet away, killed the tree but didn't affect any piece of equipment.. Lightning must have known I had insurance. Each antenna has 3- 8' copper rods at the base where it enters conduit underground. When tower goes up it will have each leg with it's own rod and a ring tie-in. Os course the rotor will have the surge protector as well, but the advice of another at the top is a great if expensive idea. My shack also has a 3-rod ground right outside the wall-3' long. Knock on wood!!

I.C.E/Morgan says they've never had a failure claim yet-must work really good! They cost enough! Earl N4XK