[TowerTalk] G-2800DXA lightning damage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] G-2800DXA lightning damage
From: n4zkf <towertalk@n4zkf.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 06:57:32 -0400
Well said David,

Being in the cell phone construction and cell/broadcast tower industry for
a couple of decades I find a lot of local hams asking me about
grounds. How I get hit (as I have had) and the radios and everything
survives just like my customers.  First the antenna doesn't most of the
time but the rest does and it's exactly what you just said. But most hams
I find shove one ground rod in the dirt and call that their "ground ring".
First it's not a ring of anything. Second they don't have it on the same
potential as the tower or their house that they radios are plugged into,
they have nothing protecting the coax and just the ground wire to the back
of the radio and this will "save the shack". NOT

If you want to create a ring, use many many rods, cad weld them together
and with the house ground and try to make everything under 5 Ohms max on a
Meggar. I know the normal ham doesn't have the ability to measure and
create all this with Buss bars connected to the ground ring and poly's on
all the coax bolted to the bars but they wanted into this hobby so it's
the price you have to pay or 1. Move to where there is no lightning or 2.
Unplug your radios and put them in the bathtub. (then it may hit the
roof). But keep the potential the same! Here is an old website buy you all
may find interesting.

http://www.radioandtrunking.com/downloads/motorola/R56_2005_manual.pdf

Dave n4zkf
e-mail: n4zkf@n4zkf.com
web: http://www.n4zkf.com
AR-Cluster node: 145.05 Mhz. or telnet://dxc.n4zkf.com:23
CC-Cluster node: 145.07 Mhz. or telnet://ccc.n4zkf.com:7373
Packet BBS: 145.05 Mhz.-14.098 Mhz. or telnet://bbs.n4zkf.com:6300
BPQ Node: 145.05 Mhz.-14.098 Mhz. (n4zkf-5)
SEDAN Node: 145.770 Mhz. (n4zkf-7)
N4ZKF/R 147.375 Mhz. Tone 103.5