Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling a ground plane

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling a ground plane
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:07:56 -0700

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:48:57 -0500, VE4XT wrote:

>At six feet, your radials are still coupling to the Earth and thus
>being detuned. Which is why adjusting your radiator
>has a greater effect. Can't dismiss also the odds of
>common-mode current affecting your readings. Do you use a choke?

REPLY:

I thought coupling to ground might be the issue so I modeled the
ground plane in free space and got the same results. The SWR was
higher in free space so I know there is some coupling to ground, but
the effect of changing the vertical element vs the radials was the
same.

If anyone wants, I can send my .ez file for this antenna and you can
experiment for yourself. You will need EZNEC 3.0 or later. Please
email me direct at dezrat@outlook.com

I am not using a choke in the model but I will be with the real
antenna.

73, Bill W6WRT