Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk] Modeling a ground plane

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk] Modeling a ground plane
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:11:33 -0500
How accurately does EZNEC NEC-2 model wires close to the ground?

John KK9A

To:     Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject:        [TowerTalk] Modeling a ground plane
From:   Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date:   Wed, 10 Sep 2014 08:11:39 -0700

I am modeling a full size ground plane with four elevated radials for
40 meters using EZNEC v. 3.0. I have it six feet above ground.

I noticed that changing the length of the radials has much less effect
on the resonant point than changing the vertical element.

For example, on 40 meters, changing the vertical element by one foot
moves the resonant frequency by about 200 kHz, but changing all four
radials by one foot moves the resonant frequency much less, only about
20 kHz or so.

I'm curious why this is. I would have thought the effect would be the
same.

All comments appreciated.

73, Bill W6WRT