Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:24:35 -0700
On Fri,9/12/2014 2:26 PM, N3AE wrote:
My main concern is that electric feeder to the garage. The feeder enters the house
basement on the "north" side and runs to the main service panel along the
unfinished basement ceiling. Don't want lightning currents to prefer that route. The
second concern is routing the coax conduit near the #4 bonding wire between the tower and
house service panel. Possible inductive coupling during a lightning event?

Hi Shawn,

There's a point of clarification needed here. Do you have one service, or two? That is, does the from the power company go first to the house and then to the garage (or vice versa), or do you have two feeds from the power company, one to each building? From your description, it sounds like you have the first option. Right?

Here's the concern. In any SYSTEM, they must be one, AND ONLY ONE, bond between Neutral and the Green wire, and that bond must be where the system is established (usually where power enters the building). Breaker panels come with a bond between neutral and the frame (where the green wires must be connected), so if there is more than one panel in a system, that bond must be removed on sub-panels.

There is another way to do it, and that's what I'm doing with a similar feed. I am treating my two buildings as separate (they're about 30 ft apart). I have a single service, which comes to the house, then is fed to the garage/apartment that houses my shack. There is NO ground connection between the house and the shack -- the feed from the service is two hots and a neutral only. In the garage/shack, this allows me to bond neutral at the entry panel. Note also that there are no other cables carrying "ground" between the two buildings.

My tower is about 225 ft from the shack, so it is NOT bonded to either shack or house grounds. The garage/shack has about 8 driven rods -- three on the side by the entry/breaker panel, two more around the perimeter, and three outside the shack. #4 runs around the perimeter, picks up all the rods, runs up to the antenna panel about 2 ft off ground. Steel conduit (EMT) brings power to multiple 120V and 240V outlets below the operating desk.

At the house, I have three driven rods near the service entrance. There were none when I bought the house -- a "ground" wire ran about 35 ft to a spigot for a garden hose, which was fed by PVC pipe. :) Telco and CATV grounds are bonded at the service entrance.

With respect to the tower -- coax shield should be bonded to the tower top and bottom. From each tower leg, at least one driven rod, preferably more spaced out from the tower a distance equal to at least the length of the rod. Also a bond from the tower to the structural mesh within the tower base. I do that with copper strap, using clamps for the tower legs that prevent dissimilar metal issues. I think I got them from DX Eng.

73, Jim K9YC