[TowerTalk] To light or not to light

To: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>, "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] To light or not to light
From: Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 11:40:51 -0400
Another perspective: Years ago, my company built a tower in Ohio. Land
owner asked that we put a beacon on it. Our regulatory compliance group
(lawyers) advised us to NOT light the tower, since FAA/FCC regulations did
not require it. Their reason was that if we lit the tower, we were deciding
it was a hazard to aviation, not the FAA. The problem with that is if the
light is out for any reason, unlike with FAA lighting, there is no
mechanism (like notifying the FAA so they may issue a bulletin that a
beacon is out) to notify pilots when there is a problem. Lawyers. --Mike,
WV2ZOW