Re: [TowerTalk] Passing Out When Looking Up

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Passing Out When Looking Up
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:55:37 -0700
Ward wrote...

> You can test this on the ground.  Stand straight and tall - then
> tip
> your head back as far as it will go without bending your back.  A
> few
> seconds of readjustment in equilibrium is more or less normal.  If
> the
> condition persists or if you get really dizzy or worse, you have a
> problem to have checked out by your doctor.  It is better to find
> this
> out at ground level than aloft.

There is a condition called BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) that is
like
this.  (I have it, by the way.)  It's 'Benign' unless you have an episode on a
tower.  It's
'Paroxysmal' because it comes in often unpredictable spells.  It's 'Positional'
because a
spell is initiated by moving your head... into a new position by twisting your
neck
(looking to the right, then abruptly looking to the left, etc.) and/or looking
straight up.
The 'Vertigo' is really disorienting in my case.  I haven't climbed since I
found out
about it, because I usually need to look up and move my head left and right
when I'm
up there.

In my case, it's easily 'cured' for a while, but the cure requires doing some
simple
maneuvers lying on my back on a bed.  This is not easily done on a tower.

Google 'Eppley maneuver' if you're interested.

73,

George T Daughters, K6GT
CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
October 4-5, 2014