Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident

To: n4zkf <towertalk@n4zkf.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 11:54:55 -0400
The "Fall Arrest" cable in this incident was high quality stainless steel that sometimes defies visual inspection especially in fittings. In this case the cable had rotted internally near the top fitting which was invisible to the close in naked eye. The only real answer is to replace every 5 years and also put it frequently under a load test. Some actually prefer galvanized steel cable where at least you can see the deterioration as it occurs and take corrective action.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ