Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing

To: "'Wilson'" <infomet@embarqmail.com>, "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 13:23:04 -0400
I believe the problem with sternal attachment is that pulling on the front of
the harness with great force could cause your spine to snap backwards, a
direction in which it's not designed to bend, possibly fracturing vertebrae,
rupturing discs, or worse. Being yanked by the dorsal attachment would likely
cause the spine to bend in the natural forward direction.

You're correct that with dorsal attachment some (not all) falls could result in
your face slamming into the tower. The front edge of a safety helmet could
reduce the chance for injury but probably doesn't eliminate it. But I guess the
experts feel that this possibility is better than breaking one's back.

73, Dick WC1M