Re: [TowerTalk] velocity factor?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] velocity factor?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 11:19:58 -0700
On Wed,10/8/2014 10:19 AM, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:
I decided to also check the velocity factor. I was a little puzzled to get a
factor of 0.8. Does that make sense? It's a foam filled coax. I expected
something around 0.9.

A couple of comments. First, Vf varies slightly with frequency (typically 1% between 2 MHz and 50 MHz. How did you measure Vf? Measuring the resonant frequency of the line as a stub will yield the value at at that frequency. Measuring TDR by doing an FFT of a VHF sweep will yield the VHF value.

Second, all foam dielectrics are not the same. I have foam dielectric coaxes with values between about 0.78 and 0.88 at VHF.

I suggest you dig up the mfr data sheet for the coax you have. The published Vf will be the VHF value.

There's a discussion of this in k9yc/com/Coax-Stubs.pdf

73, Jim K9YC