Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: 4:1 balun questions KT-34XA making progress

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: 4:1 balun questions KT-34XA making progress
From: "Paul " <radioboy@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 15:02:50 -0700
Hi Gang,

Well a successful day so far....I have tried the 2 separate cores and
couldn't get them to balance as Steve mentioned and couldn't get lower than
1.5:1 SWR into the dummy load...tried stacking 2 cores on top of each other,
better, and now 1:1 at 14MHz and up to 1.2 at 30MHz with the enameled #14
bifilar wound...then I tried my MIL spec teflon coated silver plated coax,
which is 12 ga center with .010" PTFE insulation, stripped off the shield
and started with 7 turns bifilar, wrapped every 2" with glass tape then
slowly worked down 1 turn at a time until Shazamm, 4 turns and I have it
flat 1:1 from 1MHz to about 70Mhz with a slight bump around 45MHz up to
1.3:1.  At the main freqs of interest 14MHz is 1.00:1, 21MHz is 1.01:1 and
30MHz 1.03:1.  Now onto the soak test to see what heat is generated. Then I
am going to try to stack 3 cores and start again...more results later.

I am now actually having fun with this latest success. 2 hours before
baseball starts though so I have a deadline to meet.

73
Paul