Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] One off balun question
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 16:44:19 +0000
Hi Ray,

Here's a sketch of the test set-up I use with my VNA2180:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/s21/vna.png

The choke under test fits between terminals A and B.

If you compare it with Fig 40a (Page 31) of Jim's paper, you'll see it's essentially the same arrangement that he uses: the VNA port A becomes Jim's "RF generator", and VNA Port B becomes his RF Voltmeter/Spectrum analyser. This set up typically adds an equivalent parallel capacitance of about 0.2pF to the choke measurement.

With the "Generator/Voltmeter" method you can only easily measure |S21| and therefore the choke Z; but of course the VNA will also give you the vital S21 phase information and the choke R+jX. Plus, the VNA carries out the frequency scan automatically and can be calibrated to take out the effect of the interconnecting leads.

The 50 Ohm resistor is there to provide a reasonable termination for Port A no matter what the choke impedance. Its effect is to modify the Port A source impedance to 25 Ohms, and that is taken into account in the calculations.

If the measured S21 amplitude and phase are Amp and Ph respectively, the choke R and X are given by:

R=(50*10^(-Amp/20))/(SQRT(1+(TAN(Ph))^2))-75
X=-(R+75)*TAN(Ph)

I dump the S21 data from the VNA into a spreadsheet which does all the calculations and produces a chart of choke Z and R; it can be just a matter of seconds from pressing the VNA "scan" button to viewing a chart. Here's an example - this one's for 9 turns 0f RG316 on three stacked FT240-52 cores:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/52x3_9.png

Hope that helps,
Steve G3TXQ