Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor swap query

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor swap query
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 21:55:10 -0500
On 11/17/2014 9:11 PM, John McCormick via TowerTalk wrote:

You really do not need a gin pole (assuming the rotator is inside the tower.
You only need to remove the weight of the mast on the rotator.
loosen the two mast clamps enough to be able to lift the mast, maybe a quarter inch. Just use a large screwdriver under the mast to pry it up. use a pair of 2 X 4s or a piece of angle iron and a U-bolt across the horizontal rungs of the tower. Using the 2 X 4s or U-bolt, clamp the mast so it presents no load to the top of the rotator. You may need to clamp the angle or 2 X 4s to prevent the mast from turning. One end of the 2 X 4s can straddle a tower leg.

Once the mast is clamped and supported, remove the mast clamps from the rotator. Remove the 4 bolts holding the rotator to the acessory shelf. disconnect the cable from the terminal strip and slide the rotator out sideways and slide the new one back in, and replace the clamps, tighten them and remove the angle/U-bolt, or 2 X 4s. The mast does not have to set down on the rotator bell.

73 and good luck

Roger (K8RI)

My question: What's the best procedure for swapping out the rotor? Will I be
able to lift up the mast and beam 18 inches and place it on a wooden brace in
the tower, while I make the swap, securing the base of the mast with some ropes
or wires to keep it from moving laterally? Am I foolish to even attempt this
without a gin pole, helping me lift the weight from the ground?

Some other specifics:

+ US Tower TX-455, with a KF7P work platform installed (cranks down to 22 feet,
but I don't have the tilt-over fixture at this point)
+ 5-element yagi (57 pounds)
+ WARC rotatable dipole (about 10 pounds)
+ 10-foot mast, 2-inch diameter (25 pounds)
+ one thrust bearing installed at top of tower

Thanks for any thoughts directly or through the list.
73s, John/N0FCD ( N0FCD@yahoo.com )

Roger (K8RI)