Re: [TowerTalk] Some advice about crimp ;type coax connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Some advice about crimp ;type coax connectors
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 00:36:55 -0500
I've used a number of connectors, most of which are the Times Wire crimp connectors. I like them as they come with a length of heat shrink. They are a very well made connector, but with the 100' vertical run still need the loops at top and bottom.

As to a loop, Why never? I must disagree. I see no reason not to use them and a number for using them. As long as the loop is not too tight, center migration is not a problem, nor is lightening with the shield bonded to the tower, top and bottom.

The same for tape. I do not like the large ty-wraps as they put too much pressure on a small spot. and two wraps ever two feet gives a secure hold. I run the coax along a tower leg, inside the tower, bonded to the top and bottom of the tower. Put on in reasonable weather, I've never had any come off or loose. Tape in cold weather is not a good idea.After this many years, I've been given no reason to change.

73

Roger (K8RI)