Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Cordless solder irons

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Cordless solder irons
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 13:57:43 -0600
I solder after crimping all terminals, even those not exposed to weather.

John KK9A

To:     Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
From:   Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date:   Thu, 20 Nov 2014 09:05:33 -0800

I was watching the electrician wiring my sailboat solder connections after
crimping and asked why, he said "In 5 years you will thank me." In
offshore sailing virtually everything everywhere gets exposed to salt
water and my experience is that plain crimps corrode and fail even with
marine wire and lugs, so crimp plus solder is the way to go. It's also
mentioned in the DavisRF white paper. Adding adhesive lined shrink tubing
over the crimp also helps keeps water from wicking down stranded wire
which is another failure mode. (or buy lugs with the tubing, but $$). So I
solder after crimping any lugs exposed to the weather.

Grant KZ1W