[TowerTalk] Rcs-4

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rcs-4
From: Mark <n2qt.va@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:33:04 -0500
I had terrible noise in the powered positions, and quiet with no power in pos
4.  My issue
was a animal chewing the coax jacket.  The resulting corrosion created the many
little
diodes needed to make a broadband noise generator.  If the noise is more like
birdies
rather than broadband, check the power supply and make sure there isn't some
noise
coming in that way, perhaps a bad diode or dried out cap.  Putting a meter or
scope
(Or an AC coupled spectrum analyzer if you have one) on the connection going to
the
antenna can quickly show a major problem.

You may be able to use an ohmmeter to verify the dc integrity of the connectors
and
coax. (I have had my share of PL-259s that did not have good soldering braid to
shield.)

Mark n2qt