Re: [TowerTalk] Best Balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best Balun
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 02:55:04 -0500

Sounds like mine, but I had a legal limit transmitter for my first project.

Back in those days (1961) a B&W TV was a monster in weight, size, and power consumed even with a tiny screen compared to the monitor on this computer and I can carry it easily with one hand. Many had power supplies that would easily run a 100 to 200 watts out CW, or SSB and power a 32S1. The chassis was 3 to 4 inches tall and as much as 19 inches square of heavy gauge steel.

I used the power supply as is, which was just about right for a 6AG7 Oscillator, I forget the driver, and a pair og 6L6s as finals. IIRC I used a 12AT7 as an electronic TR switch.

So, it too was large, heavy, and ugly but it worked well. As an aside, it also taught me that a transmitter is not a place for wire wound resistors. Surprisingly my lack of knowledge did not greatly impede getting it on the air. Full break in with a novice legal limit transmitter. The receiver was an S-40B with a Heathkit Q-multiplier. I learned how to set it so the Q multiplier would oscillate and regenerate the CW tone rather than using it as designed. It took me darn near a year to make 13 WPM, but I hated being rock bound.

BTW I never have made WAS, but never tried. I need to print some QSL cards as I still owe a bunch on 6-meters.

73

Roger (K8RI)