Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for Quad

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for Quad
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:40:55 -0400
I guess I am to blame for starting this thread in the first place but after hearing an old timer tell me years ago that a balun is only good for hanging your dipole wire on to.... so I wanted some advice. Now for your quad I have the same problem but can not even use a diamond configuration and the coax dress is up to the boom. Since my quad is a 3 element Cubex any additionally weight on the wires are going to create a problem. To pick up the weight of the three feedlines I put a piece of 1" PVC down from the boom to tape the feedlines to. But I am still concerned about noise and a balance feed. I even considered a gamma match to each wire but that would also add significant weight. I even considered placing coax into a wire braid sleeve cut for 1/4 wave and connected only in only at one place to the coax. I believe this idea would work as well as any balun and maintain the low wind profile I need. However, I am not sure what impact of bunching all those sleeved feedlines together would have. Cubex does not recommend a balun at all but I don't know why. Perhaps a Pawsley stub single wire taped down the feedline and connected to the center conductor at the feed point would be adequate as this seems to be popular for VHF yagis in some places. I am amazed at how simple this solutions appears but why would anyone want to hook any extranious wire to the coax center conductor was my first thought.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ