[TowerTalk] JK Antennas Navassa5 element alingment

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] JK Antennas Navassa5 element alingment
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 09:14:27 -0800
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:19:42 -0600
From: Bob Perring <perring@roadrunner.com>
To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>

I seldom post to the list, being mainly a "lurker" out there, but...
I Recently assembled a JK402 in my very uneven and non-level backyard and
trammed it up to the top of the tower.
While there are many parameters for decision making when selecting an antenna,
I can honestly say that my JK antenna is probably the best antenna that I have
ever owned when it comes to mechanical design, quality of materials,
workmanship, and all around engineering.
I have an overwhelming feeling of personal pride every time I look up to the
top of my tower, and see what I "assembled" and got into the air. JK put a lot
of time and effort into their design. I put a lot of time and meticulous effort
into the assembly and erection. The combination of both efforts made for a
quality well beyond "average".
Pre-drilled holes and rivets are OK for some, I guess. I prefer s.s. fasteners,
clamps, tight tolerances.

Bob Perring

##  I looked at their site...superb ants.  The ele to boom clamps look
identical to the one M2 uses.
They also require tweaking..to make sure each ele is dead level.   That was
what the fellows were on
about.   The F12 yagis come with the ele to boom brackets already riveted to
the boom.

##  Optibeam uses square booms.... so they just bolt onto the boom in the
designated space,
but no leveling required.  I would think the windload on a square boom would be
sky high
vs a round boom.   A 3 inch square boom would be the same as a 4.5 inch diam
round boom for
windloading. The 4.5 inch round boom would be stronger..and have greater
circumference..

##  However, the JK clamps  looks easy to level.  What is a real bitch to level
is the clamshell
types as used by hygain.  U can spend hrs trying to level all 11 eles on a
TH-11.

##  They look very well made..albeit a bit heavy.

Jim   VE7RF