[TowerTalk] Connector install failure.

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connector install failure.
From: David Gallatin via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 01:45:58 +0000 (UTC)
Hello everyone,It is indeed a black friday. :)
So...I'm at the beginning of fabricating 12 cables of various lengths for my
new station tower.
I'm using DXE 400 and amphenol PL-259 crimp connectors. First cable, first
connector, no issues, tests out fine. YAAAAY. Make the cut, put on second
connector. Test. Fails. Wtf. I did not test it before I crimped it.
Doom on me. Cut off connector.
Test the raw end. There is continuity between copper and shield. WTF. Test my
first connector. beeeeeeeeep. Crap.
Snip off about half an inch. Still shorted. Another half inch. No
continuity. Test first connector. No short. (Yes I know, I'm just thorough)
Ok lets put a new one on but test before crimping. FAIL!! Arrrrghhhhh. So I cut
until I once again have no short. About 1.5 inches.
After once again trying while testing each step, it seems that I am doing
something wrong when trying to get the dielectric off.
The first time I applied some heat for a few seconds with a lighter. I stopped
doing this but still got the problem.
All times on this connector I have had to pull so hard that a few strands of
copper came out with the dielectric. I'm guessing this is where the problem
lies but no clue why this is causing a short.
Help pretty please?
 73,
David, AA9G

ex W5DCG and KC9EEV