Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminium Paint versus Cold Galv

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminium Paint versus Cold Galv
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 07:04:18 -0800
I only have experience with the ZRC cold galvanizing compound.  When I first
read your post I thought what a good time to review my old chemistry and
valence bonding etc.  After looking up the valence shells for AL, FE, and ZN I
thought, screw that I'll just offer my opinion.

I painted my Rohn 45 20 years ago with a couple of quarts of ZRC cold
galvanizing.  The cans are heavy and the contents look like liquid zinc.  ZRC
says it is about 95% zinc flakes.  Looking up their FAQ they claim that it does
perform the galvanic bond as the flakes bond together and the carrier dries.

In my case I painted it over an already painted red/orange and white
transmitter tower.  I power washed the tower first and knocked off as much of
the paint as I could, cleaned up any small rust spots and then painted it with
the ZRC.  The ZRC is tough stuff.  It hasn't flaked in 20 years/2 QTHs and if
you pull a rope over a wrung it will polish the spot to a shiny silver bare
metallic sheen.  I would have to agree that the stuff bonded well to the tower.
 I suppose I could make some ohmic measurements from inside surface to outside
surface the next time I have it down and see if it is electrically bonded as
well but don't expect that measurement this week.

Earl
N8SS

Message: 8