[TowerTalk] Coax loss. Has anybody measured it ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax loss. Has anybody measured it ?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 07:49:54 -0800
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:54:49 +0000
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax loss. Has anybody measured it ?

>I wonder if the UK is unique in specifying power limits _at the
antenna_? In other words, you can run whatever power you need in order
to overcome feedline loss.

I don't>believe it's a healthy regulation - it hardly encourages good
engineering of the station!

>Steve G3TXQ

##  In canada... power is measured...across an Z matched load.
IE: at the feedpoint of the ant.   In the usa, they measure it at the
output of the amp.

##  I received several private e-mails  from folks..who actually
measured power at the top of the tower..and were aghast with
what they measured.   I highly suspected this.   When I see
pix of contest stations..with hundreds and hundreds of feet
of coax..to the base of a tower..then another 100-150 feet
up the tower, it makes me wonder how much actually gets
there.   And if you lose 1-3 db on TX.... you also lose 1-3 db
on RX.  Signals lost in the coax, are lost forever.   So much for
trying to squeak every last .1 db from  Eznec.  Fix the coax problem
..and pick up some... free gain.

Jim   VE7RF