Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp-on connectors for hardline.

To: "'Patrick Greenlee'" <patrick_g@windstream.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp-on connectors for hardline.
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 11:03:22 -0500
> I have never personally attached a connector to hardline coax
> and would like
> recommendations for connectors, source(s) for same, crimping
> tool(s) needed
> and a good source for those.

As others have mentioned, there are multiple type of coax that people call
"hardline".  While there is some inter-manufacturer connector compatibility
for a given type of cable, generally speaking connectors are specific to the
manufacturer and model of cable you're dealing with.  Knowing exactly what
kind of cable you have would be a good first step to figuring out what you
need.

Hardline connectors aren't crimped on.  Virtually all use some type of
compression to attach the body of the connector to the shield of the cable.
With the exception of those cables that require a coring tool to remove
dielectric, you can install connectors on virtually all modern or even
semi-modern cables with ordinary hand tools.  While 'prep tools' that
automate the process are quite handy, especially when you're terminating
many cables, they aren't mandatory.  They aren't cheap either.

Once you figure out what kind of cable you have, drop me an email and,
assuming I have them, I'll send you a couple of used connectors to
experiment with.

                                        --- Jeff WN3A

---
is active.