Re: [TowerTalk] Choking on chokes

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Choking on chokes
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 12:49:15 -0400
I was led to believe that by tie wrapping a rotor cable (along with coax cables) to one tower leg establishes over the cable length sufficient enough distributed capacitance that choking or using RFC's in line with the rotor cable is not required. I also understand that in a shunt fed tower with a three of four wire cage spaced out 24 inches or more it is the cage not the tower that does the radiating where it really counts in the high current portion of the vertical. The top portion including where the rotor is located and beam(s) providing the top loading in many cases, is where the transmit voltages are much higher. In the Ham II or IV rotor housing the only item of concern would be the beam location slider pot. However this is very robust and should, with the wiper grounded to the bell, be able to withstand most normal amateur station power levels.

HerbSchoenbohm, KV4FZ