[TowerTalk] Torroid choke construction. To wrap or not to wrap in tape

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Torroid choke construction. To wrap or not to wrap in tape
From: David Gallatin via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 17:55:55 +0000 (UTC)
Hello all,I am about to construct a 12 turn on 2.4 od #31 choke from the
cookbook using the described #14 THHN.  I have come across references to the
possibility of voltage arcing through the insulation (rated at 600V) into the
core and that perhaps wrapping a layer of electrical tape around the core is
the ounce of prevention needed. Is this needed and/or advisable? Would the tape
affect the choke values at all?  73,
David, AA9G

ex W5DCG and KC9EEV