Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Running feed line and rotor cable together?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Running feed line and rotor cable together?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:11:59 -0800
On 12/23/14 8:40 AM, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:

I don't know how important it is but I avoid using equal distance between the
places I tie the cables. Rumors have it that the small impression on the coax
will cause a reflection and if they are all at equidistant the reflexes can add
up a some frequencies to give a high SWR. Rumors or not, I have tie point at
random distances.

I don't think it's likely, it would take a big deformation to get a significant reflection. (0.01 dB bumps probably aren't worth worrying about)

This does bring to mind a speculative scheme for filtering. Rather than coax stubs and Ts, you do it in line. There *is* actually a IEEE paper from the late 50s on this kind of filtering: stubs, inline sections, and coupled sections. It's the basis of all those cool printed interdigital and coupled line filters you see in microwave gear.

So, say you're a top band enthusiast, and you have your 3 element Yagi up a half wavelength (at least) on a *big* tower. Could you dent the coax (precisely applied nylon cable ties or some such) at specific points to suppress BC band interference from a strong local transmitter? Or suppress your own harmonics?

There are places where they do put "precision" dents into the waveguide: at Deep Space Network, where they have a 400kW S-band transmitter (at 2-2.1 GHz), even a -30dB reflection is a significant amount of power (400 Watts). I have heard stories (but not seen in person) that when they tune the system they use big clamps to deform the waveguide wall temporarily, followed by strategic application of a big mallet.

On other systems, you'll see dozens of tuning screws, but that's usually to adjust a filter's frequency and phase response. At 400kW, the fields are high enough that a screw sticking in would probably cause a high voltage breakdown.