[TowerTalk] Regarding control line and coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Regarding control line and coax
From: "WK1W - Ivan Shapiro" <WK1W@ivanshapiro.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 13:00:16 -0500

W2PIR wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding the routing of a
LMR400 UF coax feed line alongside a 4-conductor rotor control cable, and a
control cable for a soon-to-be-completed SteppIR DB-18 antenna. My intent is
to gently tie wrap the 3 cables together using UV-rated outdoor ties, then
leave the appropriate loops and slack so I can raise and lower the tower.
The Orion 2800 rotor is already mounted, tested with a mast that?s ready to
receive the antenna.

Anything else I should be mindful of? All cables are shielded and will be
tied to a common earth ground. I'll be feeding the antenna with 100 W max.

If not tied directly next to each other, what would be a good separation
distance for the coax and the other two?

Your collective wisdom is greatly appreciated by this relative newbie. :)

73,

-Paul, W2PIR

Paul and TOWERTALK RECIPIENTS:

I have a USTower crankup.  I run 4 ea. LMR400UF coaxes, 1 control line for
Yaesu 2800, 1 cat5e for IP camera, 1 siamese cable for 24VAC and 75 ohm for
analog camera.  They are wire-tied and enclosed in split-loom (spelling?).
No interference from control, though the only time it could possibly
interfere IMHO is when moving the antennas.  My 24VAC which runs the camera
gives noise thru induction when on.  So when on the radio I turn off the
camera.  Hope this helps.  73

Ivan Shapiro

WK1W

---