[TowerTalk] Hidden danger in Tower Climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hidden danger in Tower Climbing
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 00:56:58 -0800
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 15:47:31 -0500
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>

I had an article published on this as a pilot, but I'll try to keep it
oriented to tower climbing,

Something to think about when climbing!
I'd still be climbing except a stroke grounded me.  I exercised and
watched what I ate.  I felt fine. One day I turned around and stepped
forward only to have my left foot slip like I'd stepped on ice, but it
was on the living room carpet.  No warning or advanced symptoms.  As I
waited for them to haul me away I could feel my left side shutting down
as I was able to do less and less movement.  I didn't know if I'd ever
be back.  Had I been on the tower or piloting an airplane  I would not
have had time to get on the ground safely.
73, good luck, and climb safely,

Roger (K8RI)

##  yet another reason not to do something stupid.... like free climbing. Folks
may
want to take a cell phone up the tower with em...with the provisio  that its
tethered
in some fashion. Drop a cell phone  from 80 feet up.....and its not gonna help
much.
If you suffer a stroke up a tower, you would be better off to stay put..and
phone
911...vs trying to climb back down.

Jim   VE7RF