Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: w7ekb & ground rods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: w7ekb & ground rods
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 07:19:34 -0800
On 1/18/15 9:53 PM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
It seems to me a valid question to ask on this thread: Do you gain anything
by, for example, drilling a hole to get a ground rod deeper?

If you think about it, the answer might not be so simple.

The point of a ground rod is to maximize electrical contact with the ground.
If you have to drill 48 inches of an eight-foot rod and don't employ some
kind of conductive filler (concrete, bentonite, etc.) to bond the rod to the
rock, how much better off are you than just putting in a 48-inch rod? Even
if you do use bentonite, is rock a good connection?

If that's the case, what would be wrong with cutting the eight-foot rod into
two 48-inch rods and driving them 96 inches apart?

The point of eight- or ten-foot ground rods is to get eight or ten feet of
contact area, not necessarily to get eight or ten feet deep, yes?

Yes, and two short rods would work as well, if not better, than 1 big rod.

However, there is a potential depth related issue: soil moisture varies a lot in the first few feet, and in a lot of places, the chemical composition of the soil changes (top soil vs subsoil). That's not really addressed in the building code, though.

For what it's worth, the reason the code expresses a preference for Ufer grounds(concrete encased grounding electrodes) is just this sort of problem. A big block of concrete 20 feet long and a foot square is going to have a lot of contact area with the surrounding soil, in a lot of places, so local anomalies of dry or loosely compacted soil aren't going to be as big a problem.

Just curious on all this.

73, kelly
ve4xt