[TowerTalk] RF Ground is not a Myth

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] RF Ground is not a Myth
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:29:35 -0700
Even though a perfect ground, RF or otherwise, does not exist in practice, the
RF ground is not a myth. At least not a myth in the same sense that Thor, Zeus,
just taxes, and Chupacabra are a myth. The RF ground is a useful theoretical
construct. This theoretical construct is a result of solid thinking. Given that
it is hard to realize in practice, but it does have its use in understanding
current flow in RF circuits, the practical problems in implementing a useful
ground, and why we have problems in circuits that we don’t think should have
problems. Simply put, an RF ground is an infinite source or sink of carriers,
delivered or received with minimal delay. That of course is not realizable, but
understanding why the carriers cannot be delivered or absorbed with minimal
delay helps a great deal in understanding the practical implementation of
circuits we design.

In more general terms, theory is not myth, even if it cannot be realized in
practice. - Duffey KK6MC

--
KK6MC
James Duffey