Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: HDBX-48

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Subject: HDBX-48
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 21:47:07 -0800
Tom,

Had a HDBX48 up at two qths.  It requires a pretty big block of concrete, at
least compared to guyed towers.  Skip the mounting plates and fold over bases.
Get the BXB stubs.  I think they are BXB7/8 for the HDBX48.  These bolt right
to the bottom of each leg of the bottom section and are nothing more than a
flange that goes in the concrete.

Bolt these to the bottom section then support the entire assembly over the hole
and pour the concrete.  You will need to be sure that the bottom section is
plumb and held in place when you pour the concrete as you won't be able to
adjust it afterwards but it is the cheapest way to install the BX series of
towers.

The HDBX is a fairly stocky short tower that doesn't require guying.  They move
quite a bit when climbing them as compared to a guyed Rohn tower.  While there
are step wrungs on the top section to stand on while working on antennas they
are a meatgrinder to climb with the cross rungs that pinch your feet.  Check
the specs, you probably violate the loading of it with a tribander as they were
meant for supporting verticals and shorter boom tv antennas.  Don't send it to
the hot dip if you want it replated.  It is held together with AL rivets and
you will get back a pile of plated cross members and corner pieces.

A quick search yielded these links showing the base details:
http://www.criticaltowers.com/bx%20series%20towers/web%20pages/BX%20Series%20Tower%20Page.htm
http://www.ne7x.com/new_shack_antenna.htm

Earl
N8SS