Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half ??

To: "'Grant Saviers'" <grants2@pacbell.net>, "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half ??
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:45:49 -0000
Hi Grant

I do exactly the same: the plastic box with an 'O' ring seal, 'tails' of
cable passing through waterproof plastic cable glands, drain/breathing
holes, and all connections and PC boards inside the box treated with
conformal-coating spray.

Having tried and failed with all the other alternatives, I've found this
to be the only dependable way to keep outdoor equipment working in this
wet climate (other than positive pressurization with dried air... did
that too, for about 15 years).

But ferrite cores and an unbroken length of coax don't need any
waterproofing at all, just mechanical support and some separation from
the metal boom.

73 from Ian GM3SEK