Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Coax cable economics. (was Mosley Antenna Questio

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Coax cable economics. (was Mosley Antenna Question)
From: "Don " <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 23:36:04 -0800
Amen! Someone sent me a note asking if my comment was an intended insult. It wasn't. Didn't realize folks got bent so easy. Here was my reply:

No insult intended. I do more listening than operating and I get a little
amused by the hair-splitting that some folks on the reflectors get involved
in. Not saying it is bad, always something to learn from the discussions,
but more often than not it doesn't reflect the real world that most hams are
able to function in.

Even with the 'right' coax, stacks of antennas and big amps, there are a lot
of hams whose operating practices fall short and they blame the equipment
when a fine operator with simple and what many purists would consider
terrible antennas snap up a DX station right from under their noses. The
recent K1N effort illustrated that.

       Just an observation,

       Don W7WLL

Not to split db's, but I had some old RG-8 coax that I acquired somewhere around 1954 and have used at different QTH's that ran to one of the beams. The connectors were so old they even had the screw in the body! While I recognize coax doesn't last forever, sometimes it comes close. I only replaced it because of a split that occurred in the jacket last winter when I had it laying on the grass (my coax's go to the tower overhead) and I got to close with the mower. Water infusion of course with the first rain of course, I missed seeing the cut and had the attendant problems. Replaced it with some nice fresh high grade good brand RG-213. Expected to be able to hear and transmit better, but I can't tell the difference over the old war surplus RG-8 before it was damaged, truthfully!!!!!

-----Original Message----- From: Roger (K8RI) on TT