Re: [TowerTalk] Tribander Spacing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tribander Spacing
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 17:40:20 -0700

HFTA is a poor judge of spacing. There is a known flaw in the model, and it will overstate the stacked gain for narrow spacings.

73,
Dave   AB7E

On 2/20/2015 1:56 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
Assuming you meant a second C-3, I did extensive modeling of pairs of
C-3s back in the late 90's when I put my stack up.  There was an NCJ
article, but if you like I can try to dig up the manuscript here.

I wound up with C-3Es at 97 and 69 feet. It's too wide for the best
10m pattern and not wide enough for optimum on 20, but it worked out
to be the best overall compromise.  I would have put up a third
antenna at around 35 feet, but the tower would have been marginal.

Your case will depend on local terrain, and on take-off angle data for
your part of the country. HFTA modeling will give you figures of merit
for various paths that you can use to reach the best compromise, given
your location and, perhaps, the prospects for 10M in the next cycle.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.