Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] AlfaSpid Big-Rak 3 Inch Mast?

To: Rich Hallman - N7TR <rich@n7tr.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] AlfaSpid Big-Rak 3 Inch Mast?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:15:25 -0700
I welded a 5" long 3" IPS sch40 pipe (3.042" id) stub to a 3/8" HRS steel plate about 6" square, and welded 8 HD 1/2-13 nuts over holes for grub screws to the mast. The other side of the plate has a 2" IPS sch 40 pipe stub welded to it that fits into the Big-Rak. I had it hot dip galvanized, so the plate had a 1.5" diameter hole in the center for the Zn to flow thru. I had to tap the 1/2-13 nuts after galvanizing. Painting would probably work fine, I had a bunch of stuff going to the galvanizer.

I mounted hoist rings on two corners of the 3/8 plate so I could hoist the mast/beam (about 500#) clear of the BigRak for when it needs removed for service.

Grant KZ1W