Re: [TowerTalk] Earth Anchors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Earth Anchors
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 12:48:14 -0500
Ed, something to consider is a simple vector analysis. Lets say for simplicity sake that there are 3 guys attached to a pivot point attached to your anchor. Further lets assume equal tension in the three guys. Lets further assume the center guy is dead on straight with the anchor. Now if the angle between the center guy and the upper guy is equal to the angle between the center guy and the lower guy the offset forces cancel and the result is a straight pull as if all the force were concentrated in the center guy.

There are an infinite number of combinations of tension and angles that would similarly balance with offset forces canceling each other. If the angle of a guy is greater than that of one opposing it at the same anchor, an unbalanced version of the above 3 guy example, then the tension might be adjusted to bring the resultant force (combined effect of all the guys at a single anchor) into alignment with the anchor.

You have some latitude in adjusting guy tension so the above might work for you if the total force on the anchor is not made to great while trying to adjust the direction of the resultant force to align with the anchor.

Patrick     NJ5G