[TowerTalk] A Capacitively Fed 102 Degree Vertical for 160 Meters

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Capacitively Fed 102 Degree Vertical for 160 Meters
From: "tedc@nucleus.com" <tedc@nucleus.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 17:56:59 -0600
I have been doing some design work for a vertical
that will give me less than 1.3:1 VSWR across the
entire 160 Meter band with either very little manual
adjustment or with the right circuitry the antenna
will self adjust.

My design is based on the fact that at approximately
102 degrees of length a vertical should exhibit a
feed point impedance of 50 +j100. The feedpoint must
be isolated from ground so a very large inductive
shunt must be used to ground the tower for static
discharge, something in the order of XL of 2000 ohms
or greater so as to have little effect on the
feedpoint impedance. Based on using a triangular
tower with a 12inch (30.48 cm.) face a tower of 137
ft. (41.76 M.)would be required.

By feeding the tower via a variable capacitor with a
range of 820 pf to 2600 pf a match of less than 1.3:1
is obtainable over the entire band. If the operator
had favorite phone and cw operating frequencies fixed
values of capacitance can be switched in remotely or
a remote means of varying the capacitor must be
employed. A monimatch type device could also be used
to control a stepper motor and the antenna could
adjust its self.

As with all verticals an effectve ground system is a
must, be it radials on or in the ground or an
elevated system.

This same antenna could be used in a Four Square
configuration if one has enough space for an even
more extensive ground system.

My current situation prevents me from actually
building this antenna and it has been primarily a
design exercise incorperating some ideas that I had
used in a 40 Meter design some years ago. The 40
Meter design worked very well and I could obtain a
VSWR of less than 1.2:1 anywhere in the band. Any
thoughts or idea's as to the relevance of this design
is apreciated.

Ted Clapahm VE6AMR