Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 09:31:59 -0700

On 3/23/2015 12:31 AM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
I'm 5'7" and weighed somewhere around 150- 160, give or take  (It's been
quite a while) and I'm nowhere near being a paragon of strength,
although I was in good shape. My limit was benching 150#.  Military
Press was only a bit over 100#. So, yes, I did weight training, but my
limits were quite modest. Walking the 40' steel tower (25G) up was not

Assuming we agree the R25 weighs 160 lbs, it should be obvious
that when you are 20 feet from the hinge, you are basically
balancing the whole tower on your hands, all 160 lbs of it.
And it shouldn't be surprising that it gets worse going higher.

Rick N6RK