Re: [TowerTalk] Fan dipole

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fan dipole
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:51:19 -0700
Hello Vytenis,

First, I have two 80/40 fan dipoles up about 41M. They are at right angles to each other, one broadside to you and VK/ZL, the other broadside to JA and South America. They are two wires, one for 80, one for 40. The 80M is bigger copper to better support the weight. The wires are spaced about 10 inches. I have not tried a 3-wire for 80/75/40, but I'm quite pleased with how my antennas work. They have been my 80/40 antennas since I moved here in 2006.

You said your antenna would be low so that you can work better locally. Be careful about that. Study

http://k9yc.com/VertOrHorizontal-Slides.pdf , which shows that the ideal height of a horizontal antenna for short distance work is a quarter wave, and you give up only 3 dB at high angles by going to 3/8 wave high. Look at the graph on page 19 for 80M Those numbers work out to be 67 ft and 100 ft on 80/75, and half that on 40M. I lose about 10 dB at high angles with my high dipoles on 80M; but I'm a lot louder at angles below about 45 degrees. AND -- because I'm much closer to the high angle stations, there's less loss to inverse square law (beam spreading with distance), so I have no trouble working locals.

If you really want to optimize both bands, for short distance, I'd go with two antennas.

73, Jim K9YC