Re: [TowerTalk] yaesu rotator and aluminum mast

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] yaesu rotator and aluminum mast
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 19:33:45 -0500
FWIW...

I have the junior version G1000SDX rotator. I have a 2" diameter (1/4" wall) aluminum mast, 20 feet long. Ten feet is in the tower, ten feet sticking out. A TH-11DX is one foot above the apex (that has a thrust bearing), a 5-element 6m Cushcraft five feet above that, and a 17' Diamond 144/440 MHz vertical at the top. This is all held up on a 70' Universal self supporting aluminum tower (picture on QRZ - a 40m dipole is side mounted to the tower and does not turn with the mast).

I did not pin the mast. I was very careful to torque the U-bolts evenly as I tightened up the clam shell. Be aware you can easily snap those U-bots if you "strong arm" the tightening process. You also need to be careful to center the mast with the centerline of the rotator. Don't just "slap" these parts together!

My array has stayed in place for a decade or more. With that long mast (11 feet separating the rotator from the TH-11DX) and the flexibility of the tower, these apparently absorb the torsion that develops in the wind/rain storms. At least that's my non-engineered thinking on the topic.

In the long run, I would rather the antenna slip on the mast than tear out the rotator drive train if something "must give" in the wind.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN