Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding/Bonding Lessons Learned

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding/Bonding Lessons Learned
From: Marko L Myllymaki <marko.l.myllymaki@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:04:52 -0700
Hi,

I did 15-20 Erico one-shot cadweld connections to ground rods last year, in
fact made still couple more couple weeks ago.

I also had problems to ignite with standard flint igniter one can buy in any
big box store.  Solution: Get Erico's T320 flint igniter.  Works very well
without any fumbling.  It is not expensive.

Only other problem I had was that sometimes hot metal was shooting/spitting
through the bottom of the mold.  Maybe caused by poor gluing of black
rubberish mold bottom to ceramic cylinder.  Or maybe when setting the mold
on rod this gluing came bit apart.  Anyway, part of the metal ended up on
bottom of ditch and did not stay inside mold causing poor connections if you
look Erico's own inspection criteria for connection.  It happened couple
times to me and I discussed it with guy in local grounding store (Mayday
Grounding in San Diego).  Solution: Get some T403 mold sealer.  This is like
moist putty one can place underside the mold (or even where wires go into
mold).  Did not have single problem since I used the putty.  It was also not
expensive compared what couple lost one-shots cost.  I think guy in store
explained that the putty is actually used for some of their bigger molds
that are not one shot kind.  But based on the problem I described, he
suggested to try it and it really works well.

73 de Marko N5ZO

Paul, Thanks for sharing your experience. Regarding a hard to ignite shot of
Cadweld: The process is quite like Thermite. I would expect that you can
place a small quantity of powdered magnesium on top of the difficult shot
and use a fuse consisting of a small thin strip of magnesium ribbon to
ignite the magnesium powder.

Patrick    NJ5G