[TowerTalk] Gain, F/B, Low SWR What to choose

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gain, F/B, Low SWR What to choose
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 04:12:04 -0400
It depends on the type of operation and your location.
With a few notable exceptions and the power you run, MOST multi element antennas have enough/ample gain. Needing a rugged antenna narrows the field. We don't have a lot of wind and I believe we are still in a 70 MPH area, but heavy ice is not uncommon.

From Central MI when pointed at the DX short path (except South America) There are heavily populated areas putting strong signals when the bands are open, So in my case the preferences favor F/B with a fairly wide (and low) SWR curve over absolute gain.

Antennas are both pricey and heavy. The C31XR takes a couple of healthy hams to put in place as does the SteppIR. A nearby ham has a SteppIR and it took a crew to carry it to the tower. It took several to hold it while he attached the tilt plate. I think its been up around 5 years and I believe he has been able to do all or most servicing by himself since then. He occasionally shows up on here so he might make a comment.

I 'm sure he likes it, but haven't had any discussions with him about it.

Different bands, but I've found even the rather small F/B of sloapers on 75 and 40, as well as the low angle off a good vertical allowed me to work stations I couldn't hear for stateside QRM with dipoles. It's less of a problem on the higher bands, but it's still a problem most times.

IIRC you don't have to sacrifice much forward gain to get a good F/B. I'm not talking about designing for max F/B, but a reasonable compromise of good F/B and low SWR over the areas I operate. I think the gain should still be "good enough". OTOH I don't have the time, money, equipment, or expertise to find out for sure.

I have far too many projects and too little ambition to do them justice when it takes me 20 minutes just to install a UHF, or N-type crimp connector.<:-)) Maybe I should consider the big SteppIR with 6 meters. Then there would be an excess 45G in the neighborhood that currently only holds sloapers.

 73

Roger (K8RI)

---