Re: [TowerTalk] Modelling SteppIR Elements

To: William Osborne <wosborne44@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modelling SteppIR Elements
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 13:42:16 -0700
The fiberglass tubes lower the resonant frequency by an
uncontrolled amount, since they are just fishing poles
that do not have any exact permittivity value.  It is
analogous to FR-4 PC boards where the impedance is
to some extent an accident of the characteristics of
the epoxy glass.  SteppIR has sourced the tubes from
various vendors over the years which further complicates
the issue.  Any correction factor you would use would
be specific to a particular run of tubes.  SteppIR
seems to gloss over this issue.  There is a parameter
you can set on the controller that scales all elements
by a fudge factor that can be determined experimentally
for the particular copy of the antenna that is being used.

Another issue is: what size round element is equivalent
to the copper tape?

Rick N6Rk