Re: [TowerTalk] Mast froze in cold temps and would not turn

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast froze in cold temps and would not turn
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 21:31:09 -0700
Interesting. I have a HG70-HD and it hasalso has a thrust bearing on top, but mine is requires lubing and has two Zerk fittings. I keep the bearing well lubed using all-temp bearing grease. Never had the bearing freeze up. Will be interesting to learn what you finalize as the culprit. By the way, I also put a rubber cone on the mast over the bearing so water and all drain off over the tower rather than the bearing. Standard item used on 2 in vent pipes in homes. Keeps the water out.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Gary Marks