Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-2800DXA

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-2800DXA
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 03:10:16 -0400
As always, When working with tools and metal which can have sharp edges: Wear proper clothing and eye protection. Gloves are not recommended around power tools! If you must wear leather gloves, be extra vigilant around power tools. Moving tool bits and pieces grabbed by tool bits really have an affinity for gloves which usually take body parts with them instead of sliding off.

Can't a 25G accessory shelf be drilled to take the rotator?

The cut out in the accessory shelf wasn't quite right to allow all bolts for the Yaesu thrust bearing so I used an Aluminum plate large enough to take the bolt circle in the accessory shelf and the Yaesu bolt circle for the thrust bearing. Could something this simple be used for the rotator? The 4th bolt could possibly fit into the off center cut out in the shelf?

If the accessory shelf can not be drilled to take the rotator or the simple adapter plate:

A complete adapter (accessory shelf) can easily be made, typically they may require a metal plate, 3 short pieces of angle 1.5" X 1.5" X 1/8th inch, or just 1 X 1 X 1/8th inch and long enough to take the u-bolts like those in the accessory shelf. 2 or 6 U-bolts or saddle clamps a drill press. (clamps and a variable speed had drill will suffice, but the press does a better job. Usually safer too) The angle can be welded, or bolted on.

The plate can be 1/4, or 3/8ths inch Aluminum. The angle can also be aluminum. I'd use something thicker than 1/8th inch in that case and just bolt it all together. Use good Al, not the soft, cheap stuff. Besides being stronger, it's much easier to drill and cut.

I don't remember the base of that rotator, but you might need a hole saw.

As you will need the metal, go to a metal shop, show them what you want, and most metal shops can make one in short order as they are so simple. Costs vary widely. When I was in my supplier's shop the other day, they were making a rather large rerod reinforced tower base for a local ham. The did in an hour or so, what took me weeks working with one hand, leaving me thinking, "Why didn't I have them do this?" <:-))

Cut the metal plate so the flat sides just fit inside the tower. The points? Cut them off square so it'll look just like the flat part of the 25G accessory shelf. Besides, it won't fit until after you cut those points off As adapters are simple (many ways to skin a cat Apologies to my old "used to be" tom cat) They only take a "little" ingenuity and not much in the way of tools.

73 and work safe!

Roger (K8RI)