[TowerTalk] Antennas 101

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antennas 101
From: Bill via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 07:59:14 -0400
Not always true Charley.  Those are not ALWAYS "good  heights".   You
forgot one important thing for grade  one....HFTA.  Without HFTA  those heights
are just guesses.  Most  hams' stations are not on a flat plane and those
numbers can be very far from a  "good height".

How do I know this?  When I lived in KH6 I modeled my QTH  and found that
anything than 90 feet for 20, 15 and 10 would suck.  In fact  anything higher
than 50 feet or so would be lousy on 10.  Now mine was a  pretty extreme
case with a ton of rolling hills and mountains, but I've modeled  dozens of
QTHs all over including FL and have found that even relatively  flat locations
can affect optimal antenna height.

HFTA, HFTA, HFTA!

One other thing, rather than getting a long boomed monster it is  better to
have two small 3 element antennas stacked...better performance, which
includes the ability to BIP/BOP/TOP/BOT.  I wouldn't trade my two little  A-3WS
on 12/17 stacked for a 6 el at the height of the top one.  Not only  that,
the small antennas are easier to install and maintain than a 6 el  monster.

K4XS

In a message dated 4/16/2015 11:34:16 A.M. Coordinated Universal Tim,